Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Clover Mini Iron

I bought this iron tool today at Michael's. 
  http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/77/501/L13852085.jpg
Guess what?  It's going back tomorrow.

A friend gave me a box full of ribbon the other day and to my delight, it was mostly satin ribbon in lots of different colors.  Unfortunately, it was all tangled and terribly wrinkled.  Fortunately, I'm one of those people who enjoy untangling stuff and I was kind of looking forward to freeing my newly acquired ribbon of its tangles.  After untangling all the ribbon, the wrinkles presented a problem. Then I remembered I'd seen a mini iron presumably made for just this kind of task.

Michael's had it priced at $29.99 but I had a 40% off coupon which brought it down to $17.99.  I had high hopes this tool would make quick work of my wrinkled ribbon and was looking forward to playing tonight after dinner.  Much to my disappointment, the business end never seemed to get hot enough to rid the ribbon of it's crinks and folds.  The low setting was useless and the high setting hardly made a difference in the ribbon.

After I accidentally and stupidly touched the shaft, I realized it was much hotter than the ironing plate at the end.  I tried wrapping the ribbon twice around the shaft and pulling slowly.  That worked better as it delivered more heat to the ribbon but it was slow going and very time consuming.  After I did a few yards like that, I disconnected it and went to get my real household iron.  I finished ironing all my ribbon and then wrapped each around empty spools another friend had given me months ago.   So now, thanks to some generous friends and a little effort, I have all this pretty, satiny smooth ribbon ready to be used.  All I need now is another ribbon rack since the four ribbon racks I have are all filled.

So friends, save your money and stick to your trusty old Hamilton Beach household iron.

6 comments:

courtney said...

Good to know, thanks for the review!

Sondra said...

I have a "ribbon iron" I got from a deal-a-day site (I don't remember the brand, but it's pink...). It looks like a hair straightener and it is PERFECT for unwrinkling ribbon. If you have a hair straightener, try it and see if it works. I just hate dragging out the iron and board for a little ribbon... KWIM?

Paula Calvanico said...

Thanks Serene! Though I really hate ironing :p

Serene said...

I'm not a fan of ironing either, Sondra and Paula. I didn't even bother lugging out the board to iron the ribbon. I used a folded pillow case as my base on a snack table and ironed my ribbon on that while I sat on my couch. Oh and Sondra, I don't have a hair straightener but thanks for the tip.

Staci said...

What a cute little iron! Glad it did the trick!

Melissa said...

I've heard good things about the Pebbles ribbon iron, although I haven't tried it. It's pink, so it may be the one Sondra is talking about.